Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Detour



So here's a less than savory update. Please be sure you are not eating when reading this.

I have a ye.ast in.fection. It is the third one this year!!! The first one was in January - easily explained by nuclear strength antibiotics I was taking. Then there was one in March. And now this.

So I went to see my regular OB-GYN, Dr. T, and we had a nice chat (love her!) and she figures that it's the Met that's causing me problems. With having the runs on and off, my immune system is weakened and the area down there more exposed to whatever. She did an IE and said it was pretty bad but just in case I got pregnant this cycle (yah right!) she's not putting me on oral meds. Instead it's suppositories for a week. Oh joy.

Then we talked some more and she said that taking the Met once a day - something I barely even managed to do because of the nasty side effects - won't help my ovaries any. So she told me to head of back to my RE, Dr. L, and ask for some other route to fertility.

I asked her why my ovary is still polycystic if my LH, FSH and testosterone levels all meaured within the normal range. She said the tests were good in that my polycystic-ness is not affecting my other hormones. BUT (and we all knew that was coming), polycystic ovaries are an estrogen-progesterone problem. So lil' ol' scientific me with nothing but a pre-med degree under my belt, asked can't they just give me the estrogen and progesterone? She smiled - in way that was not condescending at all - and explained, it just doesn't work that way.

My next question is: THEN, HOW THE HELL DOES IT WORK??!!

I hope Dr. L answers that when I see her in a week or two. In the meantime, suppositories, please.

5 comments:

Baby Blues said...

Yikes, sorry to hear about the infection. Hope it resolves soon.

I wish it's simple but PCOS is just annoyingly complicated. It doesn't follow certain symptoms nor does it respond to one treatment. Met does it for some but not all. Oh yeah, once with PCOS always with PCOS. It just gets controlled but not cured.

Samantha said...

Gotta love those suppositories! I hope they cure the problem.

DISCLAIMER: NOT A DOCTOR: PCOS is a nasty issue, but the fact that your homone levels are normal is a good sign. I'm really sorry the met isn't working out for you, but it sounds like it may be time to throw in the towel that one. My understanding is that metformin works in part by lowering levels of testosterone, so if you don't have high levels to begin with, it may not be that helpful for you. But check this out with your doctor.

Unknown said...

Ouch, Momcaster. That sounds very unpleasant and uncomfortable - I hope it clears soon. And I hope you get the answers you need.

Dr. Grumbles said...

Ick. I am sorry.

I hope it clears up soon.

JJ said...

Uggg, I am so sorry to hear that--those are not fun. I hope you get the answers you are seeking!